Online Art History Resources
- The Art History Motherlode
- Art History at UCLA
- Opening Minds to Art: Support the Courtauld!
- Art & Critique
- Art for Kids: Elements, Principles, and Other Concepts (a great resource for anyone looking for arts education materials for kids!)
- Through Eternity Tours (I can’t vouch for the tours, but this Tumblr site has an impressive collection of essays about art & history written by various art historians!)
- Resource Guide to Art History on FYIFly (This page has overviews of different art historical periods as well as links to various universities’ discussions about job opportunities with art history.)
- The Borghese Gallery
- The Uffizi
- The Getty Institute
- The Louvre
- The Prado
- ArtSTOR (access from an educational institution may be required)
- JSTOR (access from an educational institution may be required)
- Every Painter Paints Himself (managed by independent art historian Simon Abrahams)
- Dominus Venustas (a yearlong journey of one girl exploring art and art history, with wonderful insights)
- Alberti’s Window (an art history blog that covers a wide range of movements)
- WTF Art History (for those moments when you see a painting and think, “What on earth?”, this blog is an honest, hilarious, insightful retreat for art historians and students!)
Amy’s Favorite Art History Books
… Introductions to Art History
- Gardner’s Art Through the Ages, 12th Edition. By Fred S. Kleiner et al. 2004. ISBN: 0155050907.
- Art History: A Critical Introduction to Its Methods. By Michael Hatt & Charlotte Klonk. 2006. ISBN: 0719069599.
- The Story of Art, 16th Edition. By E.H. Gombrich. 1995. ISBN: 9780714833552.
- Stories of Art. By James Elkins. 2008. ISBN: 0415939437.
- Dictionary of Subjects and Symbols. By James Hall. 2007. ISBN: 0813343933.
- The Lives of the Artists. By Giorgio Vasari. First published in 1550. Translated edition linked here is from 1998. ISBN: 019283410X.
- Art Theory: An Historical Introduction. By Robert Williams. 2009. ISBN: 1405175532.
… Specialized Studies
- Neuroarthistory: From Aristotle and Pliny to Baxandall and Zeki. By John Onians. 2008. ISBN: 0300126778.
- Neuropsychology of Art: Neurological, Cognitive and Evolutionary Perspectives. By Dahlia Zaidel. 2005. ISBN: 1841693634.
- Caravaggio: A Life. By Helen Langdon. 1999. ISBN: 0374118949.
- M: The Man Who Became Caravaggio. By Peter Robb. 2001. ISBN: 9780312274740. (This book is controversial among some art historians.)
- Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane. By Andrew Graham-Dixon. 2010.
- Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India. By Diana L. Eck. 1998. ISBN: 0231112653.
- Italian Baroque Art (Blackwell Anthologies in Art History). Ed. Susan M. Dixon. 2008.
- Caravaggio Studies. By Walter Friedlander. 1955. ISBN: 0691003084.
- Bernini: The Sculptor of the Roman Baroque. By Rudolph Wittkower. 1997 edition (first published 1955). ISBN: 0714837156.
This page updates frequently!